Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pipistrel 200 kts 4-seat hybrid aircraft

Pipistrel is working on a new novel concept which would be a four seater and cruise 200 kts with relatively low power (200 kts at 160 hp). I have seen some references to it for quite some time now, but finally bumped into a blog post at Cafefoundation blog which includes also a rendering of the model:

Cafefoundation: Pipistrel hybrid

Looks pretty much like aerodynamically quite much cleaned up Diamond DA40 with some features somewhat resembling Nemesis NXT racer (e.g. the wing geometry) although with higher aspect ratio. I am confident that Pipistrel will succeed with this project and will show how the general aviation planes of tomorrow can be both efficient and fast and will not require many hundreds of horse power to be fast. I think this is one of the most interesting ones of the new production aircraft coming in sometime in the future.

The blog post says it is not a parallel hybrid, would that indicate then that it would be a series hybrid. It will be very interesting to see what will come up from this project. I will write more about it when I find more details.

UPDATE: Noticed from Cafefoundation page the bottom note; (Editor’s Note: Pipistrel will roll out the airplane in the new year, and will not allow disclosure of more than what has been shared here until then.) - this may mean that we don't hear more about this aircraft before 2012.

UPDATE 2: The new year referred on the previous post was written 2010, so if we are lucky, we will see roll out of the craft this year 2011 then. Lets wait and see. I am sure it will have specifications that will make some jaws dropping. Will be very interesting.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to talk to you about this post: http://designaplane.blogspot.com/2008/09/twin-engine-concept-evolved-from-single.html

I cannot find an email address for you. Could you please email me at: aroe[at]flycls[dot]com

Unknown said...

My email is format forename.t.surname @ gmail.com
It is not visible due to spam mail.
I'll mail you.

Nathan said...

I went to the Pipistrel website not expecting much, but I was very impressed by their planes. Then I fell in love with the Panthera. What a HOT plane. Wow!

Checking the picture again in the Cafe article, I realized it IS the Panthera. It's done! Available in gas, hybrid, and electric:

http://www.pipistrel.si/plane/panthera/overview